Friday, 27 March 2009

People should be seen and not heard

Everyone has a pet peeve.

Mine? Well, call me intolerant, but there is nothing more annoying than having to listen to some person’s inane conversation during the morning rush hour.

I really don’t care what you had for breakfast, what you’ve got scheduled at work, or what you’ll wear at the drinks do this evening. Just shut up and let me read my newspaper.

Ok so I’m only slightly sounding like I’ve got grumpy-old-man syndrome. I admit it. But seriously this is an invasion of my quiet zone and at 7.30 in the morning I’m rather protective of it. Sorry but that’s just how it is.

I just can’t quite understand why people have to talk so damn loudly in the confined space of public transport. Do they actually want other people to hear the intimate details of their lives?

I mean, it’s rather hypocritical isn’t it? This week there was the announcement about Facebook being able to store all wall posts so the British government could keep an eye out for criminals and terrorists. Well, the uproar over that was impressive – you know invasion of privacy and all. And yet, you can get the same information, only verbally, if you’re conveniently located on public transport.

Because the thing is you actually can’t help but listen in. Part of it is human nature – the perverted curiosity of what other people get up to. And the other part is, well, it is being publicly broadcast.

I for one have great difficulty not eavesdropping. Yes I feel a bit dirty but clearly it can’t be helped.

Though you do get to hear some interesting things. Like the time I overheard a guy trying to organise some weekend recreational drugs. His code words weren’t exactly genius – “leafy things”; use your imagination.

I suppose if people are going to talk so loud it’s not really my problem. But for some reason at morning rush hour it really grates – though that could just be coffee withdrawal.

But when someone imitates the barking of a Jack Russell Terrier, I’m sure I’m not alone in wanting to strangle the bejesus out of him.

Ok, so I’m a culprit myself. But only sometimes and I try not to be. I try to respect people’s quiet zones. Why can people not respect mine? Is it really that difficult to turn the volume down?

And before some wise arse points it out – yes I know, the solution is investing in an ipod.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely go with the ipod. Just don't start singing along to it, cause you'll become a whole other type of annoying person that I feel the need to strangle. I don't want to hear your version of Michael Jackson's Beat It.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete